Protection of Vallorcine winter access
When Montet Pass is closed due to avalanche risks, the village of Vallorcine remains accessible from Chamonix but limited to a road through an old railway tunnel.
The Department of the Haute Savoie, in charge of the Vallorcine access, wanted to restore this tunnel by including a statement of risks and proposals to protect the access and the users.
- Work provided by Engineerisk
- - Analysis on site (aerial and terrestrial observations) and synthesis of each avalanche path’s history
- - Assessment of the existing protection and the avalanche triggering operational procedures
- - Retro analysis of the avalanche flows conditions thanks to modeling
- - Characterization of the presentative parameters (angle, height, velocity), and sizing of the necessary dams to protect the endangered portions of the road access
- - Monitoring of their effectiveness by direct reintegration in the DEM and corresponding modeling in the final situation of the project.